I was up until almost two in the morning on Sunday watching YouTube videos about the harmful ingredients in our personal care and household products. Yes, seriously - 2 AM! I guess learning about the horrifying substances that my husband and I have been allowing our bodies to soak in for the last thirty something years will do that do you. My-oh-my! The more I learn, the more I am justified in my push towards a chemical free lifestyle. Why? Because supporting an already healthy body is a heck of a lot easier than trying to fix an unbalanced one – trust me, I know! I am not going to summarize the dangers of aluminum, parabens, triclosan, lye, ammonia, phenols, and MANY other ingredients. You can research that stuff for yourself because it would take several blog posts for me to summarize it for you.
I do, however, want to show you that you too can begin supporting your health by bottle swapping. Bottle swapping is the practice of replacing your harmful personal care and household products with non toxic alternatives. Some of you may begin tossing and replacing all of the harmful products all at once, while others might do what my husband and I have been doing – slowly replacing them one by one.
When you are ready, here are some bottle swapping tips you might find helpful:
- Visit EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database and EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning and do a search for your current personal care and household products (or specific ingredients in your products). You will be given an A to F environmental and health rating for each searched product (or ingredient). Then, you can decide if you want to continue to use that particular product or if you will bottle swap it.
- If you have an item that you would like to bottle swap, you can also search for non toxic alternatives also by visiting EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database and EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning. You should be able to find items that you can purchase at your local retailer. You might also want to consider purchasing some personal care and household alternatives from Young Living. Because they reward my loyalty, I manage to get all of our Young Living products for free!
Our household bottle swap journey:
- My husband and I ditched our air fresheners for essential oil diffusers.
- We have replaced our store-bought moisturizers. I make my own chap stick, lotion bars and body butter with essential oils and a few simple ingredients, while Scott chooses to moisturize and soothe his skin with essential oils and V-6 oil (a carrier oil that Young Living sells).
- Scott and I are slowly replacing our harmful cleaning products with homemade cleaners (some made with essential oils) and safer household products from Young Living.
- I have decreased the amount of over the counter acne cream I use by applying essential oils to my face.
- We now use essential oils to remedy occasional and minor issues such as sore muscles, nausea, upset stomach, etc.
- Scott and I have not bottle swapped our toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, or deodorant…yet. I am excited to eventually order some of these safe items from Young Living.